Homemade Carrot & Ginger Sauerkraut Recipe
PLEASE NOTE - As we only want the good bacteria in our Sauerkraut, make sure you follow these instructions and measurements very carefully.
- 2.5 - 3 cups Shredded Carrot
- 1 ½ tsp fresh Ginger
- ½ tbsp Kosher or Pickling Salt
- Non-iodized salt [table salt] will not work - so you’ll need to use either pickling or kosher salt
- Do not reduce the amount of salt in this recipe - it’s necessary for the fermentation process!
- 1 glass filtered water (chlorinated water will affect the fermentation process)
- 16 oz Mason Jar (sterilized)
- Measuring Spoon (1 tsp, 1 tbsp)
- 1 X Knife
- 1 X Grater / Mandolin
- 2 X Bowls
- 1 X Plastic Sandwich Bag
NOTE: Make sure your hands, tools + surfaces are completely clean & sterile.
- Grate carrots into a bowl
- Finely dice the ginger
- Add carrots, ginger and salt to a bowl & Mix
- Leave for 30 Mins
- Squeeze out excess juice from the mix (...set aside and keep for later)
- Pack the mix down tight into the mason jar
- Pour the excess juice over the mix
- Next, to make sure there’s at least a ½ inch of liquid above the mix, you might need to stir 1 tsp salt into a glass of water and pour a ½ inch of the salt water over the mixture. If it’s covered already, you can skip this step.
- Fill a sandwich bag with water. Keeping it open, squish into the jar over the mixture (this is to prevent air getting in, so make sure it’s packed in tight)
- Lastly, fold the open bag over the sides + screw on the jar top tight
- Leave in a cool dry place for 7 days
- Then Enjoy!
(If there is any suspicious mould on your kraut, please do not eat it!)
Want to win cool prizes?
Take a selfie with our product and email it to email@example.com to win!